View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #115
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
But Hitler exists in Cap's world too. Why do you think he was referring to Red Skull? I think he was referring to Hitler because of the entire context of the scene. Loki said some very fascist things which point to him being a Hitler figure. And the Holocaust survivor stood up in defiance to Loki. So even that was a reference to Hitler only.

I don't think Red Skull had anything to do with that scene.

And I personally didn't laugh at the moment, nor the audience. I thought it was a sombre heroic moment.
One of the things that struck me when watching CA:TFA, and I admit that I was falling asleep in that movie, but anyway in the parts where I managed to stay awake, was that Red Skull had superseded Adolf Hitler. He had more and better weapons and resources than Hitler ever had. Further, the US military was focusing their greatest military asset (Captain America) on fighting Red Skull, not on Normandy or wherever. We also see, as part of Red Skull's arc, that he eventually grows to completely ignore Hitler, and then absolutely nothing happens to him afterwards. All of which, together, proves that within the movie's narrative, and thus within the historical perspective of Steve Rogers, Red Skull was the dominant German figure of World War II.

Regardless of whether or not that comment was meant to be funny, it is still an offensive and ultrasimplistic comment. It taps into the audience's belief that Germans = Nazis. That's the reason they wrote that scene to take place in Germany. So that they could compare Loki to Hitler.

Let's leave aside the fact that Loki is a poor allegory for Hitler.