View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Comparing the movies Thor and Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Cool. Now we've put a lot of words into MOS, time to move on to Thor, this is Thor world thread after all.

Personally, I loved TDW, and am really surprised by Thor fans who didn't. I thought it had all the ingredients of the first film, a pretty menacing villain, and an even stronger performance by Loki (he stole every scene, Hiddleston has just redefined the character, I'd be surprised if we didn't see the Comic Loki emulate his performance).

Like I said, I found the romance a bit unconvincing, but since it was a super-hero movie, that isn't the main thrust. The visuals were staggering, I'll admit they were the equal of MOS, and that's saying a lot for me ( I gave TDW an 8/10 and MOS 9/10, and that's considering I'm not a Thor fan).

The music.....kind of forgettable, Kurse....a bit one-dimensional (but that's his job, to be a mindless engine of destruction), but other than that I thought Marvel really did themselves proud (the mid-credits scene doesn't count).

What I actually hated most was Kat Dennings, cute she may be, but she's exactly the same in every film or tv programme, she's meant to be funny but she's just mildly annoying and superfluous.

I suppose since Selvig returned (and that was terrific comedy !) she sort of needed to be there, but her and the Chris O'Dowd thing just kind of got in the way.

(While thinking of comedy in Marvel films, you've given me an idea for a Marvel vs DC comedy/serious thread )

But that's enough from me. What didn't you like about TDW ?
No film is perfect so there has to be something. Where would this film
disappoint Thor fans ?
I don't have a lot of problems with the romance in the movie in itself, for the time it has, but it is a bit underdeveloped from before. While it's possible to get really interested in someone in a short while it could have been expanded upon more. Perhaps it's in part due to Natalie being pregnant when they were shooting The Avengers.

The music worked well for me. The main theme is probably my favorite in a CMB and I caught myself humming it for a few days after I saw the movie. It's not very complex but it just hit the spot for me.

With Kurse I don't have a problem with him being one note. Him being such a badass but not having a very savage personality is enough for me. I'd sooner want more of Malekith as he's the brains behind everything and it seems like there were some interesting scenes with him that ended up on the cutting room floor. Since I heard the last interview with Taylor I want to have a director's cut of this movie. I'm interested in seeing what that would have been like.

Darcy could have been toned down a bit for my taste as well. I don't think I've seen Kat Dennings in anything else so I can't be bothered by her acting the same way but I take Selvig over Darcy when it comes to the tertiary characters on Earth.

One thing I didn't like was Odin saying that the Asgardians aren't gods. It doesn't really change that much but I think it would have been a braver move in the MCU to actually treat them as gods. That they aren't immortal shouldn't matter because the Norse gods weren't inherently immortal either, nor were they they kind of omniscient/omnipotent gods that we have around today.

For more negative things there's of course the thread in the TDW forum.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote