Thread: "Joyless" ?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #97
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: "Joyless" ?

This I understand....but I don't think they could have told "their" story and have it be fun and light at the same time. I watched this completely cold. No spoilers...no nothing...and after having watched it, I feel like this is just a different point of view for the character. All the main beats were there, and I did understand Superman/Clark's view of not hurting people because he REALLY could hurt them. The decision to kill Zod, was something organic to this incarnation. It's not a bad thing necessarily...but within that choice there are some very nuanced view points about killing and hurting others that are new to this incarnation.

Another thing is Superman's role in the world seems to be a bit different and MOS brought in the absolute fear and destruction that an alien/alien race being could bring. That is something I really enjoyed and I thought it set this movie apart in a way that was very believable.

The question for me at this point is what can a "Superman" do in this type of world? At some point, I do feel they will need to create that character that inspires hope, but in saying that I don't think Supes killing someone was a bad start to their story. Yeah...I might be a little cheap in the overall narative, but I can see it inspiring the hope I that I hope will one day come to fruition for the people of Metropolis.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 11-12-2013 at 11:49 PM.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote