View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #46
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
After seeing Thor 2 over the weekend and Man of Steel again last night, I'm ready to add to this.

I'll be honest, I'm too big of a Superman fan for Thor to have a chance, but both were great movies. I acknowledge my bias, heh.

I thought that Thor 2 did a great job of reminding what I really like about the Marvel universe, it's charm. Loki is the best villain that I've seen in a Marvel movie since Dock Ock. Unfortunately the threat level didn't feel "real" because the villain didn't seem to have any connection to the audience or main cast. I guess what I'm trying to say is that never during the movie did I have think that the main characters were in any danger. That's really the only big critique that I have for Thor 2, which was a really fun movie beyond that.

Man of Steel's issues were with pacing, but I only noticed them in my initial viewing, so maybe they weren't even that bad. When Zod and friends came to Earth there was a legitimate sense of danger that I felt, which really made the action come to life.

So to me these were two fantastic movies. Man of Steel is now my favorite origin movie ever and Thor 2 is has completely made up for my disappointment in Iron Man 3.

Dude ! Glad to hear some positive feedback on TDW (true, it's not MOS) but it's not bad, and it's fun !

And you hit the nail on the head, Loki, Loki, LOKI, by far and away the best performance (and that's saying a lot for a film with Anthony Hopkins in it).

I did think that Thor was screwed when Kurse was beating on him, but you're right about there being very little connection between Malekith and Thor. What makes a great hero-villain conflict is that it's personal ! Zod and Kal El were about as personal as it gets.

Really glad some Super-fans are enjoying Thor TDW. Like you said, a fun film, and definitely worth a watch (but not on the same level as MOS). I totally
agree it made up for the extremely average Iron Man 3.....Marvel's best film in 2013.

cheers dude !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote