View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
josh8
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I don't think we have ever talked before, I don't really know anything about you, so can you answer a question for me......how old are you. This is not meant to be a joke or snide. I really want to know your age, because I feel things like that effect how people see things. Me....I'm old. I'm 56 years old. Been watching all kinds of movies and TV shows for decades. I've seen many many franchises get rebooted (most likely most of them you and others on here have never seen or heard of)....and rarely feel that the "reboot" is something to really get upset about.

Some examples:
I was introduced to TARZAN by the Weismuller films. He made 12 of them. The first six at MGM with a certain continuity and feel (basicly serious with humor thrown in). The last 6 at RKO with a different continuity and feel (lower budgets, less noteworthy supporting cast, less serious, more humor ect...) it was like a reboot, not as good (in my opinion) but still enjoyable. Then I discovered the 5 movie TARZAN series starring Lex Barker. A reboot with new Tarzan, Jane, and supporting cast. His son, named Boy, was now removed from the series and the series given an overall lighter tone. Then the next reboot with Gordon Scott. He made 6 movies which were all over the place. The first couple were serious fare where Tarzan was a loner getting into adventures, then the next 2 he now had Jane and Boy with him, and the last 2 he was again a loner in serious gritty films. This continued on with several actors making multiple Tarzan movies and a nice TV series and such. I have enjoyed all of them to some extent (even though after first discovering him in the movies, I then read the books and he is a totally different from anything filmed)....should I have given up on anything made after the Weismuller films? Afterall, I saw them first, they were originally my definative version....there were so many things I would have missed out on if I had given up.

The same with James Bond. I have seen every Bond movie at the theater on it's first run. Should I have never tried to watch Daniel Craig because I started with Sean Connery, and for years he was the best Bond you could imagine? There have been good and bad Bond films. They have made major changes in tone and content over the decades....but they are still worth going to see. He's changed over the years from spy, to gadget master, to gimmick of the moment guy, and now back to spy.

I won't even get into some of the other franchises I have watched over the decades like The Falcon, the Saint, Mr. Moto, the Mysterious Mr. Wong, Green Hornet, Superman, Batman, Captain America......

I have to question the "happiness" part. Anyone who excludes so many "fun" movies from their lives over petty reasons does not sound like a happy person.

To do something different. To do what actors like to do...act different parts with different motives and ambitions and reasons for doing things.

Why did you go see the first XMEN movie...they had no filmatic "history" for you to care about. To me.....you sound like you prefer to live in a time loop living the same thing over and over and over.....

I know some people who said the same thing about the recent STAR TREK movies...so they didn't see them...and they missed out on a really good time. I say this again as a giant STAR TREK fan who has been a fan of the franchise since I was introduced it on it's first run TV appearance back in the 60's. The history of the TREK I have loved for 46 some years is now changed/erased/evaporated....doesn't keep me from watching the old shows...doesn't keep me from watching the new shows. Doesn't keep me from loving STAR TREK.

Have you ever heard of a guy named SUPERMAN. There was a highly loved serial of the character made in the 40's. The story of his birth on Krypton and then coming to Earth and becoming a superpowered hero was told then. If people had thought like you did....then never would have been a six season run of a beloved Superman series in the 50's....or the beloved run of Chris Reeve Superman movies in the 70's and 80's....or any of the other multiple TV series and theatrical releases made about the character over the next few decades up to a recent hit movie about the character. Do you like BATMAN? Not Bale or Keaton or West or Kilmer or Clooney.....I'm talking about the first BATMAN, Lewis Wilson. He made a BATMAN serial back in 1943. There is no need to make any more Batman movies or TV shows...because he already did it. We don't need any reboots of the character. I sure hope you haven't watched any reboots of the character. As I think about it...your choices of comic book shows to watch is getting pretty thin....because most of the recent characters seen have been see before. You shouldn't watch the new THOR movie because THOR appeared in a HULK TV movie back in 1988....and of course DareDevil was in the 89' HULK TV movie, so he can't be watched again. Captain America....serial in the 40's, 2 TV movies in the 70's, limited theatrical release in the 90's....he's already been done 4 times, no need to see the new movie. Yep....things are getting slim.

At least you have the original XMEN DVDs you can watch......and rewatch.....and rewatch.....

Me....I try to watch all comic related movies ever made. But I'm an old grumpy man who has lost his sense of adventure and wonderment at new things....wait....who am I describing there......
Bravo to your well though-out post!

Unfortunately it's going to fall on deaf ears...

Nell, C.Lee was being pretty respectful and trying to show you his perspective. It's kind of rude that you think he's just "rattling off". I agree that a reboot in the near future would be too soon, but you and your singular enjoyment is just one tiny pixel in this giant, big picture. Reboots are going to happen... in some cases they have to happen just so studios can keep the rights to movies.

In X-Men's case... say some kid was born in 2002 and is now getting old enough to watch these types of movies. If a reboot came around 2020, I welcome an awesome movie to come around and blow his or her mind. You meanwhile can clutch your DVDs and throw your fists up in the air as much as you want, but what is the point really.