View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Reboots are going to happen, or eventually the films are going to fall into a James Bond-like continuity that's extremely loose (which isn't that different from a reboot anyway) as the years go on. Actors are going to get too old the play the characters we're watching and they're going to have to recast, as time goes on the style of the films will change, etc. Just as the comics do.

And once that happens, it's really no different than a reboot. Though honestly, I wouldn't mind if they did that. The one thing I do agree with is that we don't need a new origin story every ten years. I would fully support a more "comic-like" story telling mind when it comes to the movies. Don't worry about continuity too much and focus on telling good stories. The general audience only really cares about continuity issues for about 5 to 10 years anyway.
I'm quoting you but I'm gonna be responding to more than just you.

Lets take the business out of it, because I understand the issues with the rights (but I also believe that business doesn't always lead to the best creativity)

How many film series have had an extensive james bond like continuity...

James bond. Thats it. So this is what I mean by the entitlement. Why do we feel that X-Men HAS to carry on that long forever? It'd be the only series other than bond to do it. Star Trek came close but that also has recasts and new characters - within the same continuity mind you (I'm talking pre-2009).

So that brings us to First Class. Which debunks the theory that I have a hard on for the main trilogy cast, because if that was the case why is First Class my favorite X-Men film yet?

You can recast with new characters and continue the franchise. You don't need to reboot.

Now lets get into the rights. So they gotta keep making movies or lose the rights? So they are gonna make X-Men films forever? There is a such thing as over saturation and too much of a good thing. This is where business and creativity don't mix.