View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #44
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: Comparing the movies Thor and Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I don't see why them not being gods would mean that I could have more oversight when they act badly. If you read the texts of various religions most gods act horribly, stupidly and vainly At least at times, regardless if you look at old myth or current active religions. Many people carry definitions of "gods" that are either wrong or incomplete.

I think one of the reasons Thor is such a good addition to the Marvel universe is that it's such an awesomely absurd thing to throw in gods among everything they had created.

I didn't dislike the scene in itself, I just think it was a bad decision to take the easier road. To not challenge the idea about what a god is. And of course also for the reason that the Asgardians actually are gods in the comics, no ifs or buts about it.

Looks like agree to disagree on that one. Like I said, I think Odin's statement improves both his, and all the Asgardian characters - because clearly they aren't immortal, merely tough and long-lived - but that works, because then when Thor goes into battle, you know that he's risking his life.

Also, it makes us forgive them as an audience, for all their stuff ups -and makes an important distinction between Odin/Thor and Loki, because he really does feel the entitlement of a god, to rule others, whereas they don't. Anyway, we're not going to agree on that one, so fair enough.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote