View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #244
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
In that case every single villain we'll see in these films is painfully incompetent, because no matter how many times they try, the heroes will allways win, even if they can win a battle, they will lose the war.
True, but it is generally their belief they will be the exception going into the battle, and they think where others have failed they will succeed. I mean competence is having the ablitlity and qualifications to perform the job. What is the job in this case? Kill Iron Man / Destroy Tony Stark right. So, did Killian successfully perform this job? No, he did not therefore he could be easily viewed as incompetent, especially by someone that believes themself superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post

Serious question, have you ever seen a superhero movie? The only time that a villain ever won was TDK.
Yes, I have seen many super hero movies, and your right villains don't generally win. However, this is not about whether I believe Killian to be competent after losing, but instead it is about whether or not another Villian would believe Killian to be competent after losing. I mean I see it all the time in movies and television shows where some thug goes back to report to his boss that he did everything he could do to complete the mission, but the boss doesn't care he just views it as incompetence and puts a bullet in his skull because he was not successful. I mean nothing to me says this is a character you don't mess with more then when a Villian starts killing other villians. I know it worked well for the Joker in the Dark Knight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
So the Mandarin failed to stop a scientific genius with access to extremely futuristic tech...yeah, he's pretty inept.
Once again, it doesn't matter what I think, it matters only what a Villain (that believes he is superior) would think, and I feel he would see himself succeeding where others have failed. I mean sure in the end he would also fall to Tony's genius and tech, but up to that point he would view others that have tried and failed as being inept, because he is going to be the one to successfully destroy him (or so he thinks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Don't forget the whole fact that he had everyone in the world duped about his identity, and got away with a hell of alot of stuff for a majority of the movie.
Yes Killian got away with a lot, and was able to achieve many things, but ultimately in the end he was not successful at completing the one job that mattered to him most, of destroying Iron Man / Tony Stark. Therefore again to a new Incarnation of the Mandarin (if there was to be such a thing), he would view it as Killian's Incompetence and or ineptness that lead him to failure and that he will not fall to Iron Man like Killian did because he believes he possesses the qualities and abilities necessary to get the job done of Destroying Iron Man / Tony Stark. So, where Killian failed he will succeed.

Once again it doesn't matter what the truth is, it is all about what the character percieves to be the truth.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."

Last edited by Surfer; 11-16-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote