View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
BenKenobi
Banned User

Default Re: 17 Signs it's a Marvel Studios Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Iron Man 3 was the most underwhelming sequel/follow up I've ever seen in my life. Iron Man 3 is The Phantom Menace of the MCU. The guy faced off against gods and aliens in the last movie only to be followed up by a butthurt ex-fanboy. You'd think after 2 corporate non-threatening villains and after finally proving his worth as a real superhero when the time finally came you'd think he'd be facing bigger stuff like the real Mandarin.

The most entertaining aspect of a superhero film is the overcoming of obstacles like defeating the bad guy. Even if they decided to go with that silly twist, the least they could have done was develop Aldrich Killian's character into a legitimate villain who gets finished off by the titular character. Shane Black committed a cardinal sin here with what he did here and what he planned to do and I hope to god he never touches a comic book movie.
I take it you didn't see Iron Man 2. I, and many people I know, were happy with Iron Man 3 and the way it made Tony vulnerable. Now do I think it could have been better? Of course but I left the theater with my hopes high for the future of the continuity, whereas I left with my standards substantially lowered from 2. I mean really, the movie was campy, boring, overly cluttered with pointless character and hokey subplots. At least Iron Man 3 was fast paced and while it had a sense of humor, it wasn't uncomfortably trying to tone down the techno realism to make way for Supersoldiers and gods.

Also "The Phantom Menace" argument isn't a good one. If you go over the Star Wars threads there's a bunch of hopeless cases that will defend that movies genius to their last breath. Anyway I'll admit if I was a bigger fan of the Iron Man comics I could see myself being more disappointed with Iron Man 3 than I am, so I'll give you that.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote