View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #45
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Comparing the movies Thor and Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Looks like agree to disagree on that one. Like I said, I think Odin's statement improves both his, and all the Asgardian characters - because clearly they aren't immortal, merely tough and long-lived - but that works, because then when Thor goes into battle, you know that he's risking his life.

Also, it makes us forgive them as an audience, for all their stuff ups -and makes an important distinction between Odin/Thor and Loki, because he really does feel the entitlement of a god, to rule others, whereas they don't. Anyway, we're not going to agree on that one, so fair enough.
Being a god doesn't automatically mean that you are immortal, as the Norse gods weren't immortal in the myths either. Nor were they all-powerful or all-knowing. That was what I was referring to, that people think that gods necessarily are omnipotent or omniscient. The Asgardians in the MCU is a farily good fit for what the Aesir were in the Nordic myths.

And while you may feel that you sooner forgive them for it, making dumb decisions and committing bad deeds is part and parcel for gods. The Norse gods did it, the Greek gods definitely did that, the god in the Old Testament is crazy, etc.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote