View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #331
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I still don't hate Superman Returns. I used to adore it for the unabashed love letter to Donner that it was, but over time the film has gotten stale. Stale in tone and and stale in story. It's so concerned with recapturing that magic of the first two films it forgets to have it's own identity, leaving the film feeling oddly cold and distant. It had moments, small moments of shining goodness. The action was very fun to watch and I loved Spacey as Lex, but Routh seemed lost on the shuffle of Lois and Lex. I think Lois had more dialogue than Clark and Supes combined. To make it worse she was just characterized without any heart or soul.
I wouldn't hate the "Superman with a son" angle if it was written with any sort of clarity. The rooftop scene with Lois worked, the only interaction with Lex and Supes worked, the airplane scene in still one of the best superhero moments in film history, the finale is rousing and well constructed and John Ottmans score is at times wonderful.
While the movie does have problems with its own identity, I have never got a cold and distant feeling from the movie. It has tons of heart, and a lot of emotional scenes which prevent this from occuring IMO and its why I can still watch and love the movie. It has other problems but I wouldnt consider that one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
But it was the whole Zod and co. vs Son of Jor-el story all over again.
But it at least changed many things around, MOS Zod wasnt SMII Zod, they were very different in fact, despite having similar goals. Its like Batman '89 Joker vs TDK Joker, same character, some similarities, but two very different takes. MOS being an origin story obviously meant changes from SMII as well. I think it did it different enough for the movie to have its own identity while still paying homage.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote