View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #334
charl_huntress
The Offender

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Well, I liked MOS's Lois. But that kiss at the end was kind of gratuitous.
It's okay for a Superman movie to have gratuitous violence and kissing of Lois Lane. That's what ALL Superman movies should have. The successful ones have it in loads.

Quote:
While not the best love interest, SR's Lois-Superman relationship was at the very least different from the average one, where they meet, kinda like each other, he saves her and she falls for him.
That's the problem. It's so different it doesn't make sense for a Superman story. It especially doesn't make sense if Singer was actually trying to follow the Donner films, which he said he really wasn't. He just used it as a template to tell some weird story that didn't actually fit.

Quote:
In SR, it was a very difficult situation. He made a huge mistake, she loves him but wants to move on, she needs it and have tried. But she can't because she loves him. But even when she loves him and even when she doesn't love his new boyfriend as much, she must stand for him and say no to her true love. She must move on even if she wanted to stay with Superman. And that was difficult... but not as much as when, later on, she finds out her son is Superman's.

Won't change anyone's opinion, but this alone is far more innovative and complex than the average superhero film's romance. Where, even if there's a second candidate, he's usually ugly and/or pedantic so we can easily hate him and prefer our hero over him. Singer decided to avoid that easy route and gave us a new boyfriend who's as heroic as Superman. Much closer to real life. And far less overused.
While that may be innovative that is not a story that's going to excite anyone about Superman's Return after a 20 year wait.

At this point, I been having this same debate for 6 years on SHH. So we are not going to agree and I'm okay with that. I actually don't' even remember SR anymore. I've only seen it once and will never see it again. I have watched MOS at least 20 times now. That to me proves which is the better film. Gratuitous kissing of Lois Lane or not.... Hell I actually thought it was a smart choice to have them kiss at that time. It was a perfect even though destruction was everyone...lol