View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #338
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Ah yes, well girls desire the actor. That's hardly excuse enough. I'm talking strictly narrative.
It was part of the narrative. It was the narrative that Supes like Lois and she likes him. That's why they kissed. It was part of the narrative this story is telling. They actually like each other. He desires her. She desires him. They kissed because they desired each other. The film clearly shows this through out so how is it NOT part of the narrative?

Quote:
Well, you explained to me the very same ting I explained you. And EVERY director, naturally, chooses the elements that they like the most about a certain character. This is old news.
Right. My point. Why use the Donner template at all if that was not the story you were going to tell. The Donner template is old...great...but old. Why use that blue print to tell a story that doesn't fit. To me it's like trying to stuff an elephant inside a car. You have a grandiose story that is full of meaning and subtly, yet you use a 30 year movie's blue print to do so. I just don't understand that choice.

Quote:
I don't see much washing. 59% of good reviews and a sequel where they thought Batman was necessary to boost things.
I actually think WB think they have some sort of plan. Knowing this company, that actually makes me more concerned. However, I think the plan is: Supes movie. Supes/Bat movie. JL movie. Or something like that. I also think this may have been the plan all along. I don't think this was a design to boost things because they thought they failed with MOS. And just to be clear, I don't think MOS failed at all because it got bad review. Comic book movies usually get bad reviews.

Quote:
They are bad exactly because of that. Specially when every single superhero movie does it almost without a variation. That's why we barely have any love interest that has any flesh on it.
Okay. I get you want a deep and complicated comic movie, but you also see how making a deep and complicated Superman movie after a 20+ year wait is probably not the best idea. Also, I don't really need a deep and complicated Superman story. You may to enjoy that, but I don't. It's Superman! I want to see him fight things, punch people into trains, have airborne fights. I want to see him kiss Lois. I don't need it to be that damn complicated. That is what elseworld comics are for.

Quote:
MOS did great in that sense. Then the kiss reminded us that no matter how good the character is portrayed, this is formula.
It worked though. So...

Quote:
May I ask when did you see SR?
In the theaters. I left unhappy. I do own a copy. I bought the collectors set which has all the movies. I just don't like the movie. It has nothing in it I want to see. Like I said, I'd watch Brianiac attacks before I watch SR. That is equally bad, but it at least it's got some of the things I like. While SR has nothing I like. No fights, no good Lois/Supes, no fights...no good Lois/Supes...no fights. You get the picture right?

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 11-17-2013 at 02:13 PM.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote