View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #339
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
It was part of the narrative. It was the narrative that Supes like Lois and she likes him. That's why they kissed. It was part of the narrative this story is telling. They actually like each other. He desires her. She desires him. They kissed because they desired each other. The film clearly shows this through out so how is it NOT part of the narrative?
No, it wasn't part of it. There's nothing that suggests they have a further interest in each other. Then, suddenly, they're kissing. From that there's nothing but to assume they liked each other, but it came out of the clear blue.

Quote:
Right. My point. Why use the Donner template at all if that was not the story you were going to tell. The Donner template is old...great...but old. Why use that blue print to tell a story that doesn't fit. To me it's like trying to stuff an elephant inside a car. You have a grandiose story that is full of meaning and subtly, yet you use a 30 year movie's blue print to do so. I just don't understand that choice.
It was the story Singer was going to tell. Fatherhood, as it was set in STM (and Donner's SII with Jor-el) was picked up in SR, also the always difficult relationship between Lois and Superman. Singer picked that up directly from Donner version, because it allowed him to show a different kind of relationship between Clark and Lois and Superman and Luthor. Those are relationships with a background because he started from Donner's movies.

Quote:
I actually think WB think they have some sort of plan. Knowing this company, that actually makes me more concerned. However, I think the plan is: Supes movie. Supes/Bat movie. JL movie. Or something like that. I also think this may have been the plan all along. I don't think this was a design to boost things because they thought they failed with MOS. And just to be clear, I don't think MOS failed at all because it got bad review. Comic book movies usually get bad reviews.
WB certainly have plans. Adding Batman, DC current most popular character, to boost things because apparently this Superman doesn't convince them to be the only start in his own sequel. If they didn't think so, they would have had a sequel like any other superhero; where they are the stars of their own movies.

Now if you pay attention to RT, many superhero movies get 80+ % of good reviews. MOS' rating was outstandingly low.

Quote:
Okay. I get you want a deep and complicated comic movie, but you also see how making a deep and complicated Superman movie after a 20+ year wait is probably not the best idea. Also, I don't really need a deep and complicated Superman story. You may to enjoy that, but I don't. It's Superman! I want to see him fight things, punch people into trains, have airborne fights. I want to see him kiss Lois. I don't need it to be that damn complicated. That is what elseworld comics are for.
I agree, as I said, making a sequel to Donner movies was not a good idea in terms of selling the movie. That doesn't take anything from what I've said about the movie itself.

Quote:
It worked though. So...
Oh, it did work. It did remind people this was the same formula as usual.

Quote:
In the theaters. I left unhappy. I do own a copy. I bought the collectors set which has all the movies. I just don't like the movie. It has nothing in it I want to see. Like I said, I'd watch Brianiac attacks before I watch SR. That is equally bad, but it at least it's got some of the things I like. While SR has nothing I like. No fights, no good Lois/Supes, no fights...no good Lois/Supes...no fights. You get the picture right?
I get that you're discussing about a movie you saw once 7 years ago. Sure, you remember the feeling you were left with, but not any further detail.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote