View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #340
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
No, it wasn't part of it. There's nothing that suggests they have a further interest in each other. Then, suddenly, they're kissing. From that there's nothing but to assume they liked each other, but it came out of the clear blue.
I'm not sure if we were watching the same movie if you didn't see they did have feelings for each other. I don't even know how you couldn't see that. It was all over the place. I could point out 4 instances off the top of my head.

Quote:
It was the story Singer was going to tell. Fatherhood, as it was set in STM (and Donner's SII with Jor-el) was picked up in SR, also the always difficult relationship between Lois and Superman. Singer picked that up directly from Donner version, because it allowed him to show a different kind of relationship between Clark and Lois and Superman and Luthor. Those are relationships with a background because he started from Donner's movies.
Fine that's what he wanted to do. It did not work. I feel he would have been better off just telling whatever story he wanted to tell with a new format. It did not make sense he would use the Donner blue-print because those movies were fun and light. How do you tell a deep story on a foundation that's not meant to tell that sort of story to begin with? Again for me that's the most confusing part of his decision to go in the direction he did. It didn't make sense to me 7 years ago, and it still doesn't make sense to me today.

Quote:
WB certainly have plans. Adding Batman, DC current most popular character, to boost things because apparently this Superman doesn't convince them to be the only start in his own sequel. If they didn't think so, they would have had a sequel like any other superhero; where they are the stars of their own movies.Now if you pay attention to RT, many superhero movies get 80+ % n of good reviews. MOS' rating was outstandingly low.
What does that matter? It got a sequel. It's moving forward. Comic book movies general don't get great reviews. I'm not surprised and don't even think that it's relevant. As for WB's plans...le sigh. I don't even care because they have made so many bad choices for so many years. I have no faith in any of their plans. I have a wait and see approach for everything concerning them.

Quote:
I agree, as I said, making a sequel to Donner movies was not a good idea in terms of selling the movie. That doesn't take anything from what I've said about the movie itself.
This is where the simple matter of taste comes into play. You thought it was a good movie for all the reasons I thought it was a bad movie. You like what I hated. Again...been having this debate for 7 years. I think I'm just having it now because I'm a bit bored, and find your views interesting. However, you will not make me think it's a good movie, and I don't want to try and make you think it's a bad movie. I just did not like it, will never like it, and don't want to see it again to be reminded of why I didn't like it in the first place.

Quote:
Oh, it did work. It did remind people this was the same formula as usual.
I simply saw it as hot kiss that was long overdue. My fangirl cried with joy and I don't care if it was formula. It WORKED.

Quote:
I get that you're discussing about a movie you saw once 7 years ago. Sure, you remember the feeling you were left with, but not any further detail.
I know what elements destroyed the movie for me because I have been talking about them for seven years. I am well versed on what those elements are. I don't need to see it again to be reminded. I often find myself talking about again and again...like we are doing now...lol If you got back in this thread...I'm on page 2...lol. And that was 2 years ago, yet here I am talking about it again...lol

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 11-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote