View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #342
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I'm not sure if we were watching the same movie if you didn't see they did have feelings for each other. I don't even know how you couldn't see that. It was all over the place. I could point out 4 instances off the top of my head.
I remember them in a subject-journalist relationship. And then trying to stop an alien invasion. Never saw a thing about feelings for each other until the kiss came. Now I just saw the movie twice. Did something else happen in between? Or was it a matter of 'this is love interest, he must kiss her at one point'?

Quote:
Fine that's what he wanted to do. It did not work. I feel he would have been better off just telling whatever story he wanted to tell with a new format. It did not make sense he would use the Donner blue-print because those movies were fun and light. How do you tell a deep story on a foundation that's not meant to tell that sort of story to begin with? Again for me that's the most confusing part of his decision to go in the direction he did. It didn't make sense to me 7 years ago, and it still doesn't make sense to me today.
Well, one thing that's needed to see SR is being familiar to Donner movies. For the better or the worse.

Now, one thing Donner didn't do right was sometimes avoiding the consequence of Superman's actions. Like when he turned back time or have Lois the amnesia kiss. The easy way out. Singer did that right in his movie. Superman's actions had then consequences. I see, therefore, improvement and a reason why it was good. Snyder also took this way with his take on Superman.

And Superman showed how lonely he feels in this planet in SR, which is another thing I'm glad Snyder kept for MOS.

Quote:
What does that matter? It got a sequel. It's moving forward. Comic book movies general don't get great reviews. I'm not surprised and don't even think that it's relevant. As for WB's plans...le sigh. I don't even care because they have made so many bad choices for so many years. I have no faith in any of their plans. I have a wait and see approach for everything concerning them.
There are a lot of superhero movies with good reviews; Dark Knight, Spider Man 2, Iron Man, The Avengers, Spider Man, Dark Knight Rises, X Men: First Class, X Men 2, Hellboy 2, Batman Begins, X Men, Hellboy, Captain America, Sin City, Thor and, yes, Superman Returns.

Not that it's relevant (I myself don't care for reviews), but you said that MOS had "washed [SR] away." And I see that even when they did better financially, it was not all a bed of roses.

Anyways, I don't know whether your stance on the sequel is "What does that matter? It got a sequel" or "I have no faith in any of their plans."

Quote:
This is where the simple matter of taste comes into play. You thought it was a good movie for all the reasons I thought it was a bad movie. You like what I hated. Again...been having this debate for 7 years. I think I'm just having it now because I'm a bit bored, and find your views interesting. However, you will not make me think it's a good movie, and I don't want to try and make you think it's a bad movie. I just did not like it, will never like it, and don't want to see it again to be reminded of why I didn't like it in the first place.
I think matter of taste starts when we registered ourselves in this forum. I'm far from wanting you to like SR, just to have a discussion that can go further the memories from 7 years ago.

Quote:
I simply saw it as hot kiss that was long overdue. My fangirl cried with joy and I don't care if it was formula. It WORKED.
It worked for people who just wanted to see that kiss, sure. But narratively?

Quote:
I know what elements destroyed the movie for me because I have been talking about them for seven years. I am well versed on what those elements are. I don't need to see it again to be reminded. I often find myself talking about again and again...like we are doing now...lol If you got back in this thread...I'm on page 2...lol. And that was 2 years ago, yet here I am talking about it again...lol
Well, everyone's free to keep discussing or not. My point is if you're discussing about what happens in the movie or what you remember from one viewing seven years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
But with SR they used exact lines, story beats and character moments from STM. MOS didnt resort to that, so I can see why people are more accepting of that.
I don't have MOS here to check it out, but in Krypton there were dialogues involving Jor-el that were very very similar to those of STM with Marlon Brando. And of course they also used the "you're here for a reason" for Jonathan Kent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Well two different interpretations of the same character ARE going to have similarities, but for me MOS Zod was different enough from Stamp Zod to make things interesting and not feel like a re-tread.
Superman's origin doesn't have to include Zod or Phantom Zone. But they decided to go same way as STM-SII. That's not saying anything wrong abour MOS, but I find funny the selectivity of critizicing one movie for something and not the other one. I mean, at the very least SR was a sequel to those movies. Of course it was going to be similar.

That doesn't mean that I myself wasn't annoyed at one point when they decided to keep STM dialogues just for the sake of it.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote