View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #50
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman as a Vehicle for the Surveillance State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
The very act of surveillance connotes ulterior motives. I'm having a hard time imagining scenarios in which it does not propel some sort of cause by the perpetrator. Spying for the sake of spying doesn't really exist. There's always a reason for it.

While Batman doesn't sit around watching hidden cameras or listening in on people, he has been shown multiple times to have direct access to such material when convenient for him. Which means he's set up this entire network prior to ever really needing it. Fitting for someone who strives to always be prepared.

I can't say Bruce is honest in this area. He most certainly does not give a damn about personal privacy, especially in situations where it's preventing him from finding a solution.
"Spying for the sake of spying" refers to a routine daily check on a grand scale just in case something might go wrong. It is basically what the NSA does. Again, my point is not that he doesn't spy on people but that he isn't obsessed with spying on people. That's what I'm trying to argue. Batman is not the type of guy to do a routine daily check on every Gotham citizen just in case one might be hiding something (again, I'm excluding the Elseworld stuff). He is not a "vehicle for the surveillance state" in that sense. He would still be against what the NSA does. And again, that doesn't mean he would avoid violating someone's privacy because he would view it as immoral; just that he would be against governments having that power.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 11-19-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote