View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #823
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
I'd be interested in some examples as to why you thought they did not understand Thor or what you consider steps backward with Odin.
The Thor at the end of the first film and the Avengers seem to finally start learning he doesn't know everything. More importantly, that while his father isn't perfect, it would be best to actually start listening to him. Their relationship seemed to be a good point, perhaps for the first time, and it is almost dismissed in TDW for more "drama". Thor is still defiant.

And it isn't Jane. They mention it, build it up a bit early, and pretty much gloss over it the rest of the way.

Quote:
I loved TDW because I felt we saw some real character development with Thor building on the first film as well as the Avengers. Loki is always mocking him for what he perceives to be Thor's stupidity but here we see a shrewder, wiser Thor who still retains his devil-may-care recklessness at times. Also Thor is colder towards Loki after all his crimes but he still clearly loves his brother. Hiddleston and Hemsworth were fantastic together. The best we've seen them yet.
Loki mocks Thor as stupid, but he has never been in the films. He simply has morality. That is a common trait. Thor did however do plenty of stupid in TDW.

The best parts of the film were Thor and Loki, mainly as Loki's arc actually felt the most complete of everyone's.

Quote:
We also see Odin and Thor in reversed roles, showing father and son are not so different after all. There are many times in the comics where Odin is pompous and stubborn and clearly not so wise after all. Also in the end Thor rethinking what it means to be a king, relinquishes his claim to the throne in favor of Midgard and adhering to his affection for Jane, furthering the rift with Odin - very true to the comics and a significant shift away from where he started in the first film.
And right here is the problem. This would of all be good if they actually established in the film. If they made Thor reconsider the position of king through the parallels between Odin, Bor and Malekith. If they made Odin wrong. But Odin is right. It is Thor who risk the many for one, while also seemingly not caring about his own loved ones not named Jane.

And the ending bothers me the most. It spites in the face of what was established at the end of the first film and the words Thor actually says. How can he protect all the realms from Earth? It is clearly the opposite. He focusing himself to one place for selfish reasons. Now if they had set light to the position of king and made it toxic and something to frown upon, ok. But they didn't, and the only real way for Thor to protect all nine realms without Mojlnir being able to make its ports is from Asgard.

Quote:
Thor's cockiness in the battle of Vanaheim and his offer to the Kronan and Malekith for accepting their surrender were all signature Thor moments.

After Loki says "satisfaction is not in my nature", Thor's line "surrender is not in mine" is the very essence of Thor.
Thor is at his most Tho-like in battle. But lines are lines. Actions speak louder, even on film.