View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #98
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I thought Clooney was well known at the time. I know he started acting in the 1980's and was in his mid-to-late 30's by the time B&R came out. Regardless, my analogy still applies. Heath had a young career and he never a chance to prove him (and I mean prove himself on a scale much bigger than BM, which is what TDK did). Affleck has an entire career behind him. That's why, in my opinion, having a lack of faith in Ben Affleck is more justified than in a case such as Heath's.

A lot of the forums I've been on talked a lot about BW when Heath was cast, from what I remember.

Also, I don't think Affleck will fall flat like Clooney did. I just think he's "meh".

Many people didn't even know who he was until he was cast as the Joker (including me).
Surprisingly, Clooney's film career really took after after B&R and once he left ER in 1999. Before B&R, he had only been in a couple of films, the most recognizable one being From Dusk Til Dawn. Before ER, he was a soap and sitcom actor primarily.

Not sure if you know, but Heath Ledger had been acting in films for at least 10 years before TDK. 10 Things I Hate About You was released in 1999, and he had many roles in big movies over the next decade -- The Patriot, Monster's Ball, The Four Feathers, A Knight's Tale, The Brother's Grimm, Lords of Dogtown, Casanova, Brokeback Mountain, I'm Not There, and others. It's not as if he didn't have enough of a career for people to make a judgement on or base an opinion on his acting abilities.

The main difference is that it wasn't really Heath's acting ability that was in question. Rather, it was that people (myself included) did not feel that he was right for the role of the Joker. Many, many people have expressed the same feelings toward Ben Affleck as Batman.

The biggest criticism towards Ben so far hasn't necessarily been his acting ability, per say, although you do seem to think he has been subpar in most of his roles. Still, the biggest backlash (aside from him him not being right for the role) seems to have been the flops and duds he's had in his career...with Gigli and Daredevil getting a lot of mentions. You gotta admit it's pretty funny how everyone's harped on Ben for that while it's not as if Bale had anything close to a stellar track record before Batman Begins. Aside from American Psycho, The Machinist, and Empire of the Sun (when he was a kid), I can't really think of one of Bale's pre-BB movies that I like.

Anyways, despite their careers, my original comparison was just to the reactions towards Ben's and Heath's casting...and how they were both poised to either surprise/impress or disappoint. There wasn't much confidence when Heath was cast (before info and trailers starting trickling in), and there's not much confidence behind Ben so far either. Hence, a perfectly valid analogy.