View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #71
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who's side are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
It's not pandering or being ignorant if people want more representation on the big screen. Especially from Marvel, a company that has prided themselves on having a very diverse foundation of characters since it's creation.

We're now seven movies deep into the Marvel movie universe and:

- Never had an African-American character be more than a supporting role outside of Nick Fury

- Never had any Hispanic, Asian (or other minority) character in a lead or supporting role that I can remember, although I could be wrong.

- Outside of Black Widow, never had any female character outside of a supporting role or playing the girlfriend or damsel in distress to the main character.

I'm not saying this is a problem specifically for Marvel Studios - it's a Hollywood/media wide problem - but it's not wrong to point these things out.
People saying that it is a "problem" is exactly what I'm talking about. If the most suitable person for a role is black, Asian or white then that's what they are. Going out of your way to choose actors of certain races is not only suboptimal, it's arguably even racist.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote