View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #40
D.P.
Banned User

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I think some of you are missing the point. For the sake of the comics/movies/etc, criminals are frightened of Batman. I don't personally believe that is a realistic situation, partly because Batman himself with his infinite abilities is unrealistic even by comic book standards. In reality, he would be a sad, confused, dead man, probably decaying at the bottom of a storm drain within hours of beginning his absurd mission.

Fortunately for us, however, this is all wish-fulfilling make believe, where the hero always prevails and the villains are always beaten yet rarely die. That's all a given. It doesn't matter that it's absurd, because the absurdity is part of the appeal.

Too stupid to sustain, however, is the notion that all of that fantasy and make believe can be lapped up without question; unless the invincible hero wears trunks over his suit. If he wears trunks, the notion that criminals would fear him or that he could fight crime in this way, apparently becomes ridiculous.

Dumb.
That's true, but to play devil's advocate since you haven't directly addressed the poster above you, what function would the trunks serve?

I really don't care either way as long as it looks good, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on it.