View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #47
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

As I've stated before, I guess I'd consider myself to be against the trunks in live action at this point. This isn't because I hate them or think they're "st00pid" necessarily. In fact, I love the trunks in the pre-New52 comics and they have never bothered me in the slightest. Jim Lee's renderings of Batman in Hush, for example, is among my favorites.

With that said, I do believe the trunks are by far the LEAST essential aspect of Batman's iconic look. In my eyes, Batman needs the boots, gauntlets, belt, cape, cowl, and Batsymbol --- hopefully, we can agree that ALL live action interpretations of Batman have have these things in one way or another. The trunks are not nearly as important. As we saw in MOS, Superman's trunks do not define him. They do not "make or break" the character, and the same can be said for Batman.

If there is ever a period piece Batman film, in which he is purposefully meant to have a retro or vintage look, then I say bring on the trunks. But for this upcoming modern-day re-imagining of the character, I say no trunks, please. UNLESS they devise a way to make them look natural and it isn't jarring or distracting.

Also, at the end of the day, I wish some people could just admit that it really comes to down to personal preference instead of trying to create hollow arguments for or against them.

Last edited by theShape; 11-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.