View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Default Re: Is Thor "Too Difficult" A Character To Do Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The box office isn't something that Marvel is especially proud of. Yes, by all measures, it's a certified blockbuster and turned a profit. But when you start getting out the measuring tape, it's still not the "Avenger bounce" that Marvel was hoping for. Thor still barely hovers around the bottom rung of the Top 20 superhero movies ladder in terms of box office, and he still rates a very distant third to The Avengers and Iron Man as Marvel Studios' moneymakers. It did considerably better overseas this time, but it still hasn't caught Thor 1's domestic totals, even after nearly a month in theaters.
I think the hope for this film was probably $250 M domestic/ $500 M foreign. No one in their right mind should've seen this doing $1 Billion, but $750 M seemed doable, and even likely to me.

I sort of feel like Marvel doesn't trust the Thor property enough to make a truly great, epic Thor film. We have flashes of greatness, but Thor: The Dark World is really a Thor/ Jane Foster film, with Jane's supporting cast getting as much or more attention than pivotal Thor supporting characters. They're slave to the human element, which I understand, but don't really like.

Last edited by KangConquers; 12-01-2013 at 09:57 PM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote