View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #59
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Default Re: 8 years of no Batman or Bruce Wayne, and NO ONE could pick up the trend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
I am a fan of Nolan's Batman trilogy, but it was particularly and definitely at its best with TDK and I'm sure I ain't the only one that thinks that. Amongst the complaints I have with the successor, this is one of the biggest complaints I have.

So after 2Face's death, Batman goes in to hiding. At the same time, Bruce Wayne sulks in his palace and doesn't come out. This goes on for 8 years. Then one night, Bruce Wayne cleans up and goes back out into the public. The very next night, Batman returns... but not a single soul in Gotham could put the 2 and 2 together?

That's why I feel the secondary villain for this film, if they were to keep an 8 year Batgap plot like that, would have been the Riddler, instead of having all this focus on the return of LoS. This is similar to BB, where Bruce Wayne returns to Gotham and soon after comes Batman, but the plot unveiled there was more understandable. Here in DKR it is just silly. In my opinion.
As people pointed out, Bruce Wayne goes into hiding after 5 years post-TDK. The reasoning they wrote for this I found to be silly (who couldn't have predicted a fusion reactor could be used a weapon? Evidently the same type of people that couldn't foresee airplanes being used as missiles.) but it gives some space.

Antagonists are as good as what they bring out of the protagonists, what they mirror about the protagonists, and how they are a catalyst for the development of the protagonists. The return of the League of Shadows is Bruce having to confront his past that contributed to the way he was as Batman. They wrote/used Bane and Talia in a way to demonstrate that being someone's protector is road to suffering and death (Bane) and that being wealthy and fulfilling what your father wanted (Talia) could be/were bad things, etc. And in the end Bruce gives up being Gotham's protector and gives up trying to follow in his father's footsteps since that could be the road to an early grave. Instead someone else who was neither rich nor ever influenced and trained by the League of Shadows (Blake) would be the new guardian of the city. I'm not saying the latter excited me ('cause it didn't) but I get what was up.

I've made better posts in the past defending parts of the movie but it's late and at this point not too many care.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote