View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #62
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Default Re: 8 years of no Batman or Bruce Wayne, and NO ONE could pick up the trend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
As people pointed out, Bruce Wayne goes into hiding after 5 years post-TDK. The reasoning they wrote for this I found to be silly (who couldn't have predicted a fusion reactor could be used a weapon? Evidently the same type of people that couldn't foresee airplanes being used as missiles.) but it gives some space.

Antagonists are as good as what they bring out of the protagonists, what they mirror about the protagonists, and how they are a catalyst for the development of the protagonists. The return of the League of Shadows is Bruce having to confront his past that contributed to the way he was as Batman. They wrote/used Bane and Talia in a way to demonstrate that being someone's protector is road to suffering and death (Bane) and that being wealthy and fulfilling what your father wanted (Talia) could be/were bad things, etc. And in the end Bruce gives up being Gotham's protector and gives up trying to follow in his father's footsteps since that could be the road to an early grave. Instead someone else who was neither rich nor ever influenced and trained by the League of Shadows (Blake) would be the new guardian of the city. I'm not saying the latter excited me ('cause it didn't) but I get what was up.

I've made better posts in the past defending parts of the movie but it's late and at this point not too many care.
This was a good post but I still cannot say I agree.

First off, I've already stated that the conversation Talia has with Bruce at the masquerade ball was just a hint to show she knew that he was Batman.

And like I said before, if the return of LoS was all about mirroring the protagonist then it totally makes TDK seem like filler, great filler at that, I talked about it four posts up. What you say about Bane and Talia makes sense but at the end of the day, I don't think it perfectly mirrors Batman as good as a Santa Priscan Bane could have. All I say was vengeance from an evil organization that brought up a twisted daughter and a psycho muscle man who was in love with her.

And the whole thing with Blake I found to be very contradictory, with in TDK Batman saying he didn't need help from the copybats and then making a full 180 with the whole "hero can be anyone" thing in Rises, just having it be all about will power

XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote