View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #93
milost
Banned User

Default Re: 8 years of no Batman or Bruce Wayne, and NO ONE could pick up the trend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Of course he took it seriously. He clearly thought into the accent he chose, wanting to pay homage to the Latin origins of the character with the Romany gypsy influence, and he made a deliberate choice to go with a voice that was in his words "a bit camp" to create an unsettling disconnect between his monstrous physicality and his eloquent manner of speaking.

See, that to me sounds like reaching. More so than what I stated.

He sounds latin? Really? Roman gypsy influence? He sounds like the love child of Sean Connery (who, last time I checked was SCOTTISH) and General Grievous without the Toys R Us voice changer.

Then again, I haven't heard too many Latin, Roman gypsies so maybe they all have the dialect that sounds like a brit with a mask over their face . . . which *gasp* Hardy actually is! Such research from Tom Hardy, expanding his horizons and looking for influence!

I'll never forget that ripped recording from Heinz field when an extra recorded his speech. We all thought he sounded like an elderly Lord Humungus from Mad Max (which ironically has claimed Tom Hardy as well). We convinced ourselves that, no, Hardy was clearly having a bit of fun and we wouldn't hear the character until 2012. But nope, that's exactly how he sounded. The changes in the opening "Bane on a Plane" scene were even lolzier than before.

Nolan and Hardy approved that, they approved it! You can show me the original prologue, but it doesn't change the fact of what we actually got nor the criticisms it's ushered in.

Quote:
To me that's always been the appeal of Bane too...looks like a monster, speaks like a gentleman. A gentleman who is going to tell you his intentions before he breaks you, but a sophisticated person nonetheless.
More like Mr. Clean with a muzzle and a sporty Ugg jacket, which is actually closer to nightmare fuel than what we ended up getting. Imagine Mr. Clean in a tarantula gas mask, pouring cleaning products down people's throats until their eyes bulge. THAT is monstrous.

Quote:
In addition, there were some interesting similarities in both dialogue and body language that felt extremely reminiscent of Ra's, that I'm positive were intentional. It was a well thought out performance and character.

I.e. holding a vest? Spewing the same babble that Talia and Liam Neeson spoke verbatim?

Deeeep. Only Tom Hardy could do such things!

Quote:
Just because something has elements of "camp" (as regwec would point out, camp =/= "bad"), doesn't mean he was doing a piss take with the character. Ledger's Joker had elements of camp in it too. You could easily say he was just hamming it up as well. And he was. You just didn't like Bane in the movie, that's all it is.
I like camp. But I highly doubt it was the intention of Nolan and filmmakers to have Bane be "campy" or ironic other than a "lovely, lovely voice". In fact, that wasn't the intention. They wanted to create a monster. Bane is meant to be taken seriously in TDKR though, and nobody (well, that's hyperbole), most people don't take him seriously.

The Joker? Yup, very much a "flair for the dramatic", which is the character. He could be eating shrimp cocktail one minute or holding a knife to a man's face the next. He could be acting like a kid feeling grossed out and using hand sanitizer at the sight of the Joker one minute and then pummeling the hero in the head with a pipe. Intention.

Bane in the movie is ridiculous, I've never seen the claim that the Joker is. Joker can chew scenery, ham it up, that's what he does. He wasn't born and raised in a prison. He wasn't intended to be 100% pure monster/terminator with unflinching devotion to some cultist cause. He didn't sound like the love child of Sean Connery and Lord Humungus.

He sounds nothing like Bartley Gorman, which is what he claims was a source. Bane is pretty much the answer to, "what if during Star Wars, they kept David Prowse's voice instead of having James Earle Jones".

Quote:
Watch the TDKR special features and it's clear that he took it seriously. I think you're reaching here. Just like people are reaching when they say "Nolan's heart wasn't in it."

Sure there's the obligatory interviews, but I seem to recall the red carpet premiere of TDKR and he didn't seem very enthusiastic (which isn't a bad thing).

It doesn't surprise me after the filming stops and the marketing machine ends when actors start to view the superhero thing as a little silly. I don't think it's reaching to say that Hardy was having a bit of fun with Bane and took it no more seriously than he did Star Trek: Nemesis. It'll be interesting to see how the cast and crew look at this thing years down the line. As fans, we take it seriously, probably more serious than we should but the actors? Heh, look at Harrison Ford's views on Han Solo. Or Michael Keaton's views on Batman. It was just a gig for them.

What if one day, Nolan looks back and is "meh" about TDKR? Directors in the past have done that with their own work. Spielberg, Kubrick, Burton, hell, Cameron just revealed recently that he thought Terminator blows and he could have made it better.

Remember, at the time these things are being made, it's made to sell and be pushed. Nobody in their right mind is going to sit there and say in an interview that "it's all a pile of rubbish, I'm having fun in this silly rubber mask for the $$$". It just never happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
milost, it's good to see you back. On top form as usual

Thanks. Love the avatar change. Very appropriate for this time of season.

Last edited by milost; 12-06-2013 at 07:40 PM.
milost is offline   Reply With Quote