View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #159
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: 8 years of no Batman or Bruce Wayne, and NO ONE could pick up the trend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
Nothing. Just like what happens after TDKR with Blake, absolutely nothing.

Remember, a "third one" wasn't always a sure thing (unless Nolan is contradicting himself and bluffing). So what happens after The Dark Knight when Batman drives off into the night? Nothing. It could have literally gone anywhere just like any scenario we could conjure up about anything. Little 2008 Lobster had no idea where TDKR could of been, so it's a moot point, just like the question above. The possibilities are endless because we don't know of the potential for something that doesn't exist.

It's to easy to play the, "it's just a story/film card", because as a fan of the films and the genre, we are that interested and invested. But in this case, it doesn't matter "what happens to Gotham when Bruce is dead" because TDKR could have played the card that Gotham was hopeless, or that the city itself actually stood up for themselves without the need of a Batman legacy or a physical person out there, or, or, or. And those possibilities may or may not have been more gratifying or "better" than what we actually got. So are the possibilities for after the events of the actual film, therefor it's a pointless discussion.

Unless you seriously think that there wasn't a better "third Nolan Batman film" to be made without Blake or any of the other qualities that TDKR has that are always being criticized . . .
You've got a peculiar way at looking at fiction that I don't necessarily agree with. So cut and dry. Where's the fun in that?

I was curious as to what people's creative answers might be to that question, as it relates to the mythology in general. I think it's an interesting philosophical notion. Bruce's mission is supposed to be to render himself unneeded right? Well, we all know that's essentially a fool's errand. There will always be the threat of crime and corruption in urban life, right? So, is Batman inherently a tragic tale? Is he ultimately wasting his time? Will his actions echo in eternity or not?

There's no one correct way to grapple with those questions, but TDKR attempted to address that stuff in a way that was very satisfying to me. I mean as a whole too, as a piece of work. Not just Blake.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 12-11-2013 at 11:48 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote