View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #162
milost
Banned User

Default Re: 8 years of no Batman or Bruce Wayne, and NO ONE could pick up the trend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think Dark Knight Returns would beg to differ. Even though it's not technically an ending due to DKSA, at the time it served as an ending, and it's one of the most iconic and influential Batman stories of all time.

I think endings are powerful. Especially when legends do constantly get retold again and again. A myth really isn't complete without an ending.
Everything has an ending though.

We're talking about Bruce's ending and questioning what is/could be more satisfying. Dark Knight Returns ends with Bruce still warring on criminals, that legacy aspect is still there, but the context is different. Bruce is down there, he's in the cavern, with the map, doing his thing. He's going to fight till the day he dies. The only difference is he HAS to do it covertly, in the shadows. He's not really quitting. It's an ending to THAT story, but is it really an ending for Bruce? No.

Nolan Bruce, is. He's done. He's set up a legacy, but so what? Blake, then the next fella, then the next guy after that. Who cares? It's the circumstances that matter. How do we leave this Bruce? He's fulfilling his Butler's dream. There's not even a nugget to suggest that he'll ever be coming back. Just that he seemingly left everything to everybody with a nice little bow and the cop that he met briefly gets the legacy because he to was an orphan. That's it. There's not even a real reassurance that things can get better after what Gotham has been reduced to. I have yet to say that a legacy or legacy character to carry the baton after Bruce is bad, I'm just saying it doesn't work with TDKR. Maybe if they left Bruce with Blake, training him or something. Blake finds the coordinates to the cave and, woah, there's Bruce to show him what he knows, but nope. Nothing. Within the film, Alfred's wish for Bruce outweighs Blake's becoming of Batman (even though it ends with him "Rising").

milost is offline   Reply With Quote