View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #87
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Default Re: The box office "bar of success" for Batman/ Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I hope you're joking. Crowded summer or not, we're talking about a movie that has the potential to be one of the all-time highest grossers. It's literally a historical event. This isn't Iron Man 2...featuring the first film appearance of War Machine! This is the first time Superman and Batman...literally two of the most iconic superheroes in all of pop culture...have ever shared the big screen together since their creations, following a successful Superman reboot which grossed nearly 700mil worldwide on its own. To say that this next film will only make slightly more than MOS seems a bit dense, if I'm being honest.

This is a movie that may very well make over $200million domestically (a la The Avengers) in its opening weekend alone. The thing hasn't started filming yet so we haven't seen even a hint of the immense buzz that's going to build over the next year and a half. Honestly, if Iron Man 3 could have the box office run that it had, I pretty much have little doubt that Superman/Batman (also featuring Wonder Woman) will be even bigger.
All that stuff means a lot to you and I, fans of these characters. it's the reason we're posting on these boards when we should be working. But to the general audience it's really not as important as you would think.

If it gets similar reviews to MOS then yes I see it only doing 700-800m. It would likely do 800-900 if it came out in a year where it wasn't up against Avengers 2, Jurassic World, Independence Day 2, a Terminator reboot and Ant-Man.

If it's a smash hit and the critics rave about Affleck and whoever plays Luthor's performances then it's definitely got a good shot at a billion. You have to remember that Avengers received overwhelmingly positive reviews, so did Nolan's Batman films.

Wise is offline   Reply With Quote