View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #89
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Default Re: The box office "bar of success" for Batman/ Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I hope you're joking. Crowded summer or not, we're talking about a movie that has the potential to be one of the all-time highest grossers. It's literally a historical event. This isn't Iron Man 2...featuring the first film appearance of War Machine! This is the first time Superman and Batman...literally two of the most iconic superheroes in all of pop culture...have ever shared the big screen together since their creations, following a successful Superman reboot which grossed nearly 700mil worldwide on its own. To say that this next film will only make slightly more than MOS seems a bit dense, if I'm being honest.

This is a movie that may very well make over $200million domestically (a la The Avengers) in its opening weekend alone. The thing hasn't started filming yet so we haven't seen even a hint of the immense buzz that's going to build over the next year and a half. Honestly, if Iron Man 3 could have the box office run that it had, I pretty much have little doubt that Superman/Batman (also featuring Wonder Woman) will be even bigger.
While no one should underestimate the powerhouse potential of a BvS film, no project can carry its whole theatrical run on opening weekend hype alone. Granted this film will be somewhat critic proof as everyone will be clamoring to see the clash of the titans. However word of mouth can easily crush its legs in due time.

Look at MOS. Broke the June record (which many thought would be impossible for a reboot) and truly was set to crush all other reboots at the box office. But the film itself ended up polarizing critics AND audiences alike. Dropped to the third slot the following week, and was out of the top 5 two week after that. The result was it "only" made just under 700 million.

Since BvS is already following up a divisive film, it does not have the advantage of a first film breaking out the gate. It will be carrying the baggage of MOS. More than anything Snyder and Goyer need this film to be received well. Pre-release reviews have become increasingly important and has shown to exponentially amplify box office results. Avatar and Avengers being standout examples.

Should BvS miraculously pull in a 80-90% Tomatometer, it easily cements itself as either the #1 or #2 box office smash of the year. The Batman/Superman hype alone will carry this film to astronomical levels as great word of mouth increases. Anything short of that however, and I genuinely see this "struggling" for that 1 billion mark.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote