View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: So now, which Thor is your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
That's pretty funny because Simonson has shown more weird powers than anything in God of Thunder. What makes Aaron's good isn't powers but that he really uses the concept of a God, plus that he handles Thor's personality extremely well.

I'm not a fan of Ultimate Thor. His hammer-axe is a monstrosity. I don't care much for the Ultimate universe at all though.
Just to clarify.

1) Yes, Simonson did weird stuff, but I liked it - a lot. Have only read a little of Aaron's stuff and it didn't do much for me, particularly the God concept, but you and I have discussed that already, so it's just something we disagree on. Agree to disagree, after all, it's only IMO and IYO.

As I mentioned earlier, what I liked best about Simonson, is what he did with the supporting cast and the overall story arcs, perhaps not so much what he did for Thor himself - although he gave Thor a really tough time, Beta Ray Bill and brittle bones, ouch !

2) As far as powers go, Ultimate Thor (well at least in the Ultimate titles I've read) are pretty straightforward, and in line with how I view the character - he's definitely not as powerful as other iterations of Thor, but has a lot more personality, all in all that makes him a better character.

Actually, I kind of like the Axe/hammer thing, as it looks like a weapon, whereas mjolnir in mainstream Thor looks more like a tool.

Again, just IMO.

I can see how you wouldn't like the ultimate titles, I don't have much time for Ultimate Spider Man or Ultimate X Men, yawn ! They stripped away most of what made those characters great and replaced it with unnecessary crap. The Ultimates is the only book I liked from that universe, which is saying a lot as I usually don't have much time for the Avengers at all.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote