View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #356
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
How about this? Neither one of us needs to see either movie again. Your opinion is yours and that can be based off one viewing or one hundred viewings. The same with mine.
Yes, that's fair if you believe what you told me you believed.

Quote:
I thought the elements added dragged the story down in a very depressing way. It was not what I would have expected from a Superman movie, and it certainly wasn't what I was expecting after waiting 20 years for that movie.
But then again, having Pa Kent taking his own life for no reason, feeling lonely, spending your childhood as a pariah, bullied, wondering why God made you so different, being told by your father NOT to save people, being forced to kill your enemy. Those also made the story really depressing. How that's inherently bad? I don't know.

Quote:
It is subjective. Others didn't see it that way and they saw the same movie you did. Everything both you and I are saying is subjective.
No. SR did have Superman flying away from the dark clouds to a bright colorful dawn and musically moved from a sentimental tune to the uplifting Williams's Superman march.

That's in the movie. It's not an opinion.

Quote:
No I don't. I've been discussing it just fine for years.
Sure. I was talking about discussing it accurately.

Quote:
I would say what does it matter. SR had more critical acclaim, but NO sequel. It's all relative I suppose.
Now we have a sequel, but making clear Superman must be with Batman AND Wonder Woman to make the movie interesting.

Quote:
Sure...I'll buy that.
You can or not. You won't find my name around SR forums when the movie was released.

Quote:
What have I said that didn't happen in the movie? What inaccuracy have you felt the need to correct? Please point this out to me, or drop this sanctimonious act. You like the movie and I don't. It's as simple as that.
"At the end everything is depressing." It is not. Superman's speech to his son was full of hope and the tone of the movie after this changed, emphasized by the colors and the music.

Again, this is not about people having to like SR, but if people say things like "stalker" and "deadbeat dad" (I'm not referring to you but general misconceptions often attached to SR) then some of us will intervene.

Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 12-22-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote