View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #684
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Yes, Nolan made Robin/Blake the next Batman. That doesn't mean he was going to don the cape and cowl and start jumping off rooftops the very next night. Bruce, Gordon and the GCPD won the war, and Gotham now has a chance to come together and rebuild during peacetime. They'll do that... for years. And thanks to that, in that time, Blake can study and train all across the world, using the foundation he already has (more knowledge and skill than even Bruce had at that age) to become Batman II. If I were to write a follow-up story of somekind, I'd have it that the next big bad attacks Gotham 5-7 years later, and Blake - even though he's not finished his training - decides it's time for Batman to rise again. He does well, but he's not quite where he needs to be, and worries that he's not living up to Bruce's legacy... Of course, he comes good in the end. That's good drama, right there.

As far as 'the money to keep it going'... how much money does he need? How much of his own money did Bruce actually use to be Batman? All of his equipment was either a re-purposed Wayne Enterprises prototype (the first suit, the grapnel gun, the vehicles) or low grade stuff made by him (making the batarangs). For the more customised stuff they needed to invent, they used Wayne Enterprises money ("Now you've got the R&D Department burning through money, something about phones for the military. What are you building for him now, Mr. Fox?"). And we know Blake can use Wayne Enterprises still, because he knew Lucius (met him at least twice during the siege, and again at Bruce's funeral, where everything was out in the open). Lucius mentioned he'd be able to prove fraud and get the company back on track, AND he was always very supportive - even seemed to outright enjoy - the whole Batman thing, to the point where he was trying to push Bruce back into it, apparently for fun.

Yeah, Blake can become Batman.

As for the last shot... I love that shot. The way the water acts as a curtain...
Eh, sure, it could be like that. But I don't agree with Bruce just leaving this huge legacy to Blake just because he could. It's not earned, by either Blake or the narrative. They had like three scenes. Sure, Blake is in the middle of the action in TDKR, but Bruce doesn't know that. It's like he just felt that Blake could be Batman....Felt it...In his bones.

Blake: "I believe in the Batma..."

Bruce: "HIRED!"

And later...

Batman: "If you're working alone, wear a mask."

Blake: "I'm not afraid to be seen standing up to these guys."

Batman: "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MANTLE!"

If Blake has to leave Gotham (and I just can't imagine this guy leaving on a worldwide quest to train) to get the necessary fighting skills to be Batman then that obviously leaves a void. I suppose evil will just conveniently wait until Blake returns from his fan fiction quest. If Batman wants Blake to take his place, he should've just man up, actually train the guy, or remain Batman until Blake is fully ready, and then leave to live happily ever after with Selina. But nope. Nolan needed to wrap things up quickly and get Bruce to his Cafe ending, or the movie wouldn't be able to fit the IMAX format

Everytime Blake is in danger he either has to shoot down his attackers or be saved by Batman. It's nice that he has detective skills. But you need more than that to be Batman. You need actual combat skills.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!