View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Default Re: wat if they built up to x men, like avengers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't think it would work that well for the X-Men, even if they get huge actors to play the lead roles.

For the 1st X-Men movie, people would expect the most well known faces of the X-Men, not 4 to 6 lead-in films featuring the origin story of Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean, Storm, Prof X and Magneto.

The prequel films for Wolverine and Prof X/Magneto didn't do so bad at the box-office because they were already introduced/developed in the earlier X-Men films and the general audience are already familiar with them. But imagine if they released those films first before a X-Men film featuring all the familiar faces, they would probably earned less money at the box-office.
you mean the first movie in this hypothetical scenario? they wouldn't have titled it x men, they'd have titled it wolverine. they wouldn't have that as a title until make 4 or 5 films in. and the prequel films that already exist didn't do much better than the original trilogy. as it stands, i think the wolverine and the last stand are the highest grossing of the films, and none of themhave grossed over $500million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I think it could have worked. not as huge as Marvel, of course, mainly because it would have been on years 2000-2001-2002 or so, and the boxoffice around that time wasnt as big.

But I think the better approach would be to do solo movies to the actual X-Men, and not Xavier and Magneto. This way, all the lead X-Men would have had a great development before the first team movie, and they would have been a bit more popular to general audience before the team movie too, so this way the team movies would have put most of the focus on only Wolverine, but would have been even more ensemble.

But anyway, as many fans have said, X-Men work better as a team, and at the end of the day, all started as a team, since the 60's comics where basically Xavier having a team already, with the backstory of each x-man beeing adressed from time to time, instead of a solo comic first.
box office wasn't big in 2000-2002? harry potter, spiderman, lord of the rings?

i agree with pretty much everything else though, it's all about buildup and like you said, they all started as a team (except for maybe the key ones like wolverine) so they could have had xavier playing a nick fury type role and wat x men become as shield

XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote