View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #587
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: Next Batman Villain?

I just dont see WB or Affleck doing Clayface or Freeze before they take Riddler or Penguin seriously for the first time. The more i think about it, the more im into using Freeze or Clayface because of how fresh it would be for this universe. But these movies are proving to be more about money and building a shared universe to combat Avengers. Like Fox is doing with X-Men now or Sony expanding on their Spider-Man world. It's about money over story now. And of course they can still squeeze in a good story but it's not the priority anymore. Therefore, i see Riddler/Penguin/Joker being used first because of the marketing potential.

There is zero marketing potential with Clayface, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Hugo Strange, Black Mask. Unless Strange/Sionis are played by really big actors of course. Like a Dicaprio, Phoenix or Waltz. Freeze is all about winning over the people (pretty much the entire GA) into making them think that Victor is not a joke. That only happens when the movie is released.

It also comes down to the general audience and how much they might laugh or snicker at a "Clayface" after being exposed to Nolan's movies.

Bane wasn't the selling point of TDKR. It was the fact that it was a Dark Knight sequel and marketed as the final one. The excitement was there because of Nolan and the cast. Begins at times acted like there were no villains in the movie. The marketing was centered around Batman and the new look. But that's easy to do when it's an origin story. Once the new batman is established, his first solo movie needs to be about the villain when it comes to marketing. Which is why Nygma, Cobblepot or Joker will be the choices.

Last edited by shauner111; 01-17-2014 at 12:30 PM.
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote