View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #121
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Luke Cage & Iron Fist - HEROES FOR HIRE movie thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Iron Fist solo is just another kung fu flick; doesn't matter how much window dressing you put on it. We've seen it literally thousands of times, and somebody else has probably already done a better job of making the same movie many times over.

With HFH, you get a genuine superhero flick, as opposed to just another chop sockey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Exactly. And what is more, Iron Fist's "power" isn't really all that unique to him. In other Kung Fu movies or even in shows, people have been able to effectively channel their chi force so that their fist (or other parts of their body) becomes as hard as iron. There's that movie "Invincible Iron Armor" (no, not an Iron Man flick ) where that's pretty much the premise of the film, albeit with the villain having that ability. Even in the very final episode of Martial Law, Sammo Hung did what Iron Fist does and smashed through a wall or door with his bare fist.

Immortal Iron Fist might be interesting as a comic, but as a movie, it's pretty much been done thousands of times before albeit with variations on the details. It's nothing new. A HFH movie, on the other hand, is new and fresh to the superhero genre because everything up until now has been either a solo hero or about a team. I can't think of anyone else who would also better suit the buddy movie formula transplanted into a comic book setting than Cage and the Fist.
While the kung fu action flick has been done a lot, have we ever seen it done on a big budget level like Immortal Iron Fist might get? The most recent examples I can think of is 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' or I guess you could include some of Jackie Chan's moves - If Marvel Studios is making that movie, it's going to get a lot of attention. On top of that, the kung fu movies that have been done a thousand times are primarily a niche product, maybe except for its heyday with Bruce Lee in the 70s. I think it might actually be a good thing to revive a familiar genre on a blockbuster level. Pop culture is cyclical, and I feel that we're far enough removed from the kung fu flick's highest popularity that Immortal Iron Fist would feel different in the "summer action movie" space.

H.U.S.T.L.E. is offline   Reply With Quote