View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #24
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman TM 1978 vs Man of Steel 2013, was the world ready, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
after half a year, i can make my fair assessment now.

i love both movies but i think SMTM is slightly better than MOS.
even though SMTM has a lot of campiness, especially the villains and no much character development in the superman himself; (i mean after clark goes to metropolis, we basically don't see his life anymore) while in MOS we see some of clark's personal life, his warm moment with his mother and the development of friendship with Lois. but i'm still more connected with SMTM and touched and wowed by it more.

maybe it's the fun and possible tune in SMTM.
That's a good point. That's certainly stuff that I enjoyed more in MOS, as it made Superman a bit more relatable. As for the campiness, it was 1978, I'm not sure a darker, serious Superman would have worked then. The 70's had a lot of dark and serious films - but the escapist films (eg. this is 1 year after Star Wars, and 2 years before Raiders of the Lost Arc) had a lot of light moments. Wow, that was a great time in cinema.

SMTM certainly is fun. I watched it again, after MOS, to see if I would like it any less - nope, it's still awesome, although the ending still bugs me. Christopher Reeve really owned the role, in fact in the movies that came after, that were pretty crappy, he was the one thing that was always good.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Cheers !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote