View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #27
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman TM 1978 vs Man of Steel 2013, was the world ready, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Dude, that's exactly the kind of response I was interested in hearing - besides, there hasn't been a comparison thread between SMTM and MOS for a while.
Enjoying MOS doesn't mean that anyone has to turn their back on SMTM, to be honest I think they are just reflections of the times they were made in. I was hoping to hear from folks who hold both films in equal regard, just as much as those who have a clear preference, so thanks for posting.

Interestingly, Brandon Routh was cast because he looks like Chris Reeve (RIP) whereas Henry Cavill was cast because he looks like Superman. Sorry, that's just an aside.

BTW who called SMTM a "camp Schumacher fever dream" ? BAck in the late 70's Schumacher was writing screenplays. If anything, Schumacher's Batman work is a campier, less tasteful, visually irksome and poorly cast mockery of one of Richard Donner's acid trips. (Although Schumacher has done some really fun stuff, the Lost Boys is still a hilarious vampire movie
probably the only horror/comedy worth watching).
If you wanted someone to show BOTH films respect, then I am your man.

I used "Schumacher fever dream" as a shorthand for the way some, especially younger views feel about S:TM. It seems that the "camp humor" in the film overshadows the fact that Donner and Co.'s attempt at verisimilitude were a totally new angle for the material at the time, and it's his work that is most often cited by the CBM directors of today as the most influential. Yes it has some, repeat, some humor that can now come off a little cornball, but I think most things, hell even 95% of the SFX are as good as anything of it's time or even today. I was wondering if what I was going to get with MOS would stand up in my estimation to SUPERMAN '78. And it didn't, because it was a very different film for a different time. It was NOT trying to be Donner/Reeve for the 21st Century and yet all the same, it worked for me. The action, the drama, the wit (yep, there was humor) all done with crackerjack execution. I walked out with my jaw on the floor. So people, it is possible to love em' both. Now I wanna know what Snyder and Co. are gonna give me by throwing The Caped Crusader and The Amazon Warrior Princess into the mix.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote