View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #40
bluearth
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman TM 1978 vs Man of Steel 2013, was the world ready, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Never watched All is Lost, but i can talk with you about Gravity, it was not void of story, it did what it was supposed to do and told the story in a "realistic" way, not every film has to be told in the same way, Unfortunatelly The Man of Steel failed at the way it was telling the story, while Gravity gave us something we had not seen before with a lot of intricate film techniques and a brand new experience.
There was no story in Gravity. When I left the theater it came upon me all I had watched for the last 90 minutes was empty special effects which led to a predictable ending. Man of Steel failed at telling a taut hero origin story? Well, thats your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Better story? It was longer, but it was not better told at all, character development? Gravity was about the journey, and the little that was shown of the characters was relativelly well done and realistic (not a fan of that word, but in this case i fits). Criticism that may apply to a certain film may not apply to another by the way, it all comes down to how it is constructed, The Man of Steel is supposed to be the origin of a superhero and an alien invasion, while Gravity is about a person in a terrible situation, in an alien environment to us that was delivered in an original and ambitious way that we haven't seen much.

Look at stuff like Star Wars in the 70s, it was a simple story in a time full of films with a more complex storyline, yet it was nominated for Best film, and deservedly so, because it was something new, done in an interesting way, same as Raiders of the Lost Ark, and they were executed flawlessly. Nowadays this type of film is the bread and butter of Hollywood, so it's understandable how you would start evaluating all of them from the same standards.
Again, there is no story in Gravity. Its a minimalist survival film, like All is Lost. Because there is no story the film had no weight to me. Sunshine (2007) was something of a survival movie in space, but its story is what gave the film weight and made every action and outcome worth something. If Sandra Bullock's character perished, what would change, what would be different, who would care? She was disposable. Thats why a story is needed. Theres a weak attempt involving
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
her child
to get you to care about whether or not she makes it, but it falls flat.

Are we really putting all the worth of a film on the shoulder of its special effects because they felt new and different? Funny how critics are so quick to dismiss special effects in super hero or sci-fi films as mindless while refusing to credit them for improving the film, yet they praise Gravity in large part due to its special effects. Maybe they're relieved they finally got a film with special effects they could publicly praise without feeling guilty because it doesnt feature super heroes or Transformers?

Man of Steel shot for the stars, and many feel it came up just short. Even if it did fall short, should we be bashing it while praising films that shoot for the top of a tree and make it there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Another good post. Some MOS fans swear up and down that this film is some misunderstood complex piece of classic Cinema, one that people couldn't swallow because it was too mature/different.
Some Man of Steel critics swear up and down its a poorly made generic super hero film. Who is closer to the truth? As for it turning some people off for being more mature and different, you really think that wasn't the case for some?

Quote:
To that, I say...please. Today, People eat up the kind of film MOS is. If people didn't, well...this film WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE. This flick was designed to reflect this era: A Dark and Edgy reboot film in a sea of Dark and Edgy reboots.
Man of Steel was not a 'dark' film. I've had people swear to me it was darker, and more menacing then 'The Dark Knight'. But no, just no. It was simply a more realistic Superman, not a 'darker' Superman. And where are all these 'dark' reboots? I havent seen them or heard of them.

Quote:
And that is one of the reasons why this movie is not and probably wont be as well regarded as STM. You look at the kind of films being made in the 70's, and Superman stands out. As for MOS....
Man of Steel doesnt stand out against the massive wave of Marvel films? I disagree.

Quote:
"Realistic" superheroes with dark color palettes? Saw that in The Dark Knight films, along with the non linear origin story.
So DC has a different feel to their films. So lets hang Man of Steel for being somewhat the same as previous efforts from the outfit even though 9/10 comic book films being made today could be considered fantasy/comedies.

Quote:
Alien Invasions with epic fight scenes? You can See that in "The Avengers" and "Transformers".
Why is everything getting branded as an alien invasion film?

Alien Invasion films: War of the Worlds, Independence Day, Skyline, Battle L.A. etc. The aliens are tearing things up worldwide within 20 minutes.

Quote:
Another brooding hero who feels isolated and is burdened with responsibility. That's basically every 21st Century Superhero.
Thats Iron Man, Thor, Spider Man, Captain America etc? I feel you're letting your cynicism go too far.

Last edited by bluearth; 01-25-2014 at 01:06 AM.
bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote