View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #41
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman TM 1978 vs Man of Steel 2013, was the world ready, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
From one Superman fan to another, you can't possibly believe that. And you know it.

This movie was NOT received by the public the way we all wanted it to be. This was supposed to be our Dark Knight. This was supposed to be the movie that propelled Superman back to the top of public consciousness. All signs pointed to his movie being an event film and revitalization of the Superman character. An instant classic.

It wasn't.
Very, very good post. Brevity is the soul of wit, and you've identified a key issue very succinctly. I don't completely agree with you, but I think you hit the nail on the head, in terms of our hopes for this film.

I really wanted this film to put Superman back on top, public consciousness wise, or at the very least be well received (critical consensus has a lot of power). I agree, that it didn't do for Superman what Nolan's trilogy did for Batman, not even close in terms of reception by the critics and the media.

Now for me, as an individual and a fan, it did succeed, wildly so. I loved the reinterpretation of Superman, and I don't have to go far in this thread to find others who feel the same way. However, I still have to admit that MOS seems to have failed to fulfil its goal, if its goal was to copy the success of the Dark Knight films. That doesn't change my opinion of MOS
one iota, I'm on the same team as the earlier poster who saw it 6 times
on the big screen, all the way.

(BTW, glad people have brought up that it is possible to really enjoy both SMTM and MOS, you don't actually have to choose, and that wasn't the point of this thread at all, speaking as the OP, merely to see what people's preferences were, if a preference existed, and why. Really enjoyed the responses thus far)

So, in my house, MOS is an instant classic, and I found it inspiring.
Every time I see it, I like it more, and notice some new small detail I'd missed before. The music plays regularly when I'm doing stuff around the house or working out, and it gets me going in the morning.

But, having said that I don't need X-ray vision to see that beyond my walls it hasn't achieved that status. Not in terms of money (a great return on WB's investment, but not the staggering success of DK or Avengers, or even IM3, which IMO was garbage compared to MOS or Avengers, or even Iron Man, apologies to Visualiza and everyone else who liked it). Not in terms of critical response (there are critics, even prominent ones who love it, as well as those who hated it).

Truthfully, Superman's not going anywhere, I think he's so much a part of western culture that he'll always be around in some form. But, in the final analysis MOS didn't achieve what I'd hoped for the character with the wider public (and by that I mean it had the potential to be another Dark Knight, but didn't quite get there).

Although, despite it not having fulfilled this potential, I don't see how it can be characterized as a failure. It tripled its cost, and was enjoyed by a lot of people (actually, it's impressive it did so well at the box office and on DVD,
DESPITE only getting an average RT score, and having a divided crticial consensus).

So, in the final analysis, I think it's fair to say, as you did so well, that it wasn't our "Dark Knight" at least in terms of the wider public consciousness. The Dark Knight comparison being a good one, as while there are some that don't care for it, the critical and fan consensus is that that it was perhaps the best Batman movie (and I think perhaps the best
Batman movie ever - sorry Ben Affleck).

Okay, time to lighten up.

check out this, because when Batman makes Superman blink he makes a fair point, and of course it's worth laugh or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B96ctffVp8

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote