View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #186
See Cap Run
Newbie First Class

Default Re: The Official Maria Hill/Cobie Smulders Thread

Hi guys,

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post.

I've been browsing the forums since 2012 however this is my first time actually posting anything on here. While I'm a big fan of CBMs I've only actually read a few comic books, (Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, Batman: Knightfall and The World's Finest) all of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I've tried to avoid reading any comics that would give me spoilers for future Avengers related movies (particularly anything related to Thanos or Ultron).

Before I begin discussing Maria Hill, I should make it known that apart from the film, I'm only familiar with the character from her part in The Astonishing X-Men comics and the cartoon show The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Now onto the topic at hand, there is one point in particular with which I agree and a few with which i disagree:

While I don't exactly think Cobie was bad as Maria Hill, I don't think she did anything special with it and I would love to see Morena Baccarin in the part, even if it means they would need re-cast the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
I wonder, too, if the casting of Smulders was indeed some sort of buddy service coupled with another Whedon ego trick: "hey, I can make a limited sitcom actress an abhorrent but badass military officer!". You couldn't, so admit your mistake and either write her even more down or recast. Anything else will be pretty much insufferable.
Now regarding your post here Marathon, I must respectfully disagree about Whedon's "ego". Regardless of what you think of his talent, he tends to be pretty humble, he gives credit where it's due and frequently displays the willingness to admit when he feels he's made a mistake or could have done something better. For example:

On his commentary for Buffy season 2, episode 14 "Innocence" Joss talks about how he originally tried to film a very emotional scene between Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanez outside on the front lawn of Buffy's house as opposed to in a more intimate setting: as a result the actors couldn't get to where they needed to emotionally so he had them move the scene to Angel's apartment which worked much better. Joss said the fact that he thought the scene could play in wooly overcoats on the front lawn showed that he still had a lot to learn as a writer and director.

On his commentary for Buffy season 5, episode 16 "The Body" he talks about how he made a mistake by putting the character of Joyce in the kitchen at the beginning of a dinner scene when he should have had her coming back and taking dishes away so as to have her be a constant presence in all the characters' lives. Unfortunately, he didn't realize this until after the episode had already aired.

There are also portions of The Avengers commentary that clearly show his modesty.

I strongly believe that Joss is not going to cast an actor in a part (even a buddy) unless he feels they have the potential to play said part well. Despite the occasional misstep in casting, I think he casts all his projects very well, particularly Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. Thanks guys!

Last edited by See Cap Run; 01-26-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Fix grammatical error
See Cap Run is offline   Reply With Quote