View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #95
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman TM 1978 vs Man of Steel 2013, was the world ready, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Personally I thought it was much worse. In fact the moment MOS ended I was quite confident it was the worst movie I had seen in the theater all year. And mind you this was only about a week or so after baring witness to such timeless classics as After Earth and The Purge. Granted this is just one man's opinion and you don't necessarily have to agree with me, but yes... I do seriously believe that.

Now if we are to place it within the pantheon of superhero flicks? That's tough for a variety of reasons. The bad movies usually tend to be forgotten altogether. People still talk about Superman and Superman II but no one really ever talks about Superman III and Superman IV. I mean yea they happened, and people kinda remember them... but they've definitely exited the public consciousness. For god sakes Brian Singer treated them like they didn't even exist when he made Superman Returns.

The same thing will inevitably happen to Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3. We'll always remember the first Iron Man but those two don't stand a chance in hell. They're like the Robocop sequels.

Thor wasn't any good either but it was just good enough to keep people along for the ride until Avengers which was the real prize. Plus it's the movie that first introduced Thor to the world, so no matter how bad it is that's gonna count for something. No one knew where Thor came from until they saw that movie and now he's closer to a household name than he ever was. The same goes for Captain America.

Where does Man Of Steel lie? How will it be remembered? Time will tell I think. I know that The Dark Knight definitely did wonders for the reputation of Batman Begins, so who knows what lies in store and what kind of retroactive effect the Man Of Steel sequel is going to have on it's predecessor. It may have some, it may not have any. But right now I'd wager to think that Man Of Steel will be largely forgotten. Call me crazy and call me delusional if it makes you feel better, but I just don't believe this movie will go down as a classic Superman movie in the years to come. It may roll off the tip of people's tongues for awhile, especially considering it will still be sort of fresh in everyone's mind... and it certainly won't die the quick death that Superman Returns did... but you watch, 15-20 years now when you hear someone talking about Superman I bet you there's a good chance they will have learned what they did about the character after having watched Superman The Movie... not Man Of Steel.

And you know what? That makes me both happy and sad. Happy because I believe that Superman '78 truly is a wonderful movie that should be handed down for generations, but sad because I think it partly keeps the character grounded in the past.

Dude, agree to disagree on MOS. Wow you must have really hated it if you found it worse than After Earth, which IMO is the worst movie made this century. But hey, fair enough I respect your opinion.

(Do you think it's fair to say that generally people either loved it, or hated it ? With those who were in the middle being the minority )

I enjoyed your comment about MOS' longevity. We really will have to wait and find out. Apparently it's doing very well in DVD sales -and some movies do become cult classics after they've left the cinema.
I think a big factor in MOS' longevity (beyond fans like myself....and let's face it, my tastes are pretty suspect, as I really enjoyed Speed Racer) as you said, will be the subsequent films.

Of course, in 15 years we might have an entirely different iteration of Superman (although Henry Cavill's only 30, so conceivably he could play Superman for quite some time).

Great ending to your post, very poetic. Who knows, maybe people like to remember Superman that way ? The way he was in 1978.
However, Superman's always been around, outside of the comic books, in fact there's been a Superman-based TV series or set of films pretty much continuously since STM (and of course the TV shows long before that).

Were any of them as good as STM, IMO no, not even close? As for myself, if I'm around in 20 years, I'll probably still be watching MOS (maybe me and the MOS fans on this thread will be the only ones, as you say, time will tell) but I'd be very pleased to think that STM was still relevant, even in 2034 and beyond.

Batmannerism is online now   Reply With Quote