View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I'll agree with you there. Burton is now the definition of a studio hack, which is sad to me. I don't agree that it's because his style has gotten old, because I think his style changed starting with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Burton's biggest problem, to me, is that he all does now is adapt pre-existing stories/franchises for the screen...and then fills them with an abundance of CGI...and Johnny Depp. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, Sweeney Todd, Dark Shadows are all adaptations. Even Big Fish was adapted from a novel.
I read a long time ago that during Burton's best period (or at least what's to me his best period: Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood) he had serious troubles keeping his career moving on. Yes, Batman and E.S. did good, but Batman Returns was always compared to the humongous success of the first one; TNBC was not a success (until it became a cult film years later) and so was Ed Wood.

At one point, Burton said that he thought his career as a director was going to be over, sop he knew he had to make a hug financial success again, so he went after other things like Mars Attacks! (where he went with CGI for the first time) and things like Willy Wonka or Alice, which seemed more marketable. And somewhere in between, he just lost his way.

Sweeney Todd was great though, and I still like Big Fish a lot.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote