View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #294
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikko View Post
Watched it first time yesterday. I am a big Marvel fan but it sure annoys me the pronunciation og the characters names. Mostly when Odin or anybody else says Frigga.

I am from Iceland, the country where the norse mythology comes from, because Snorri Sturluson who wrote a book in the 13th century called "Edda" where he wrote the stories of the norse gods. I have read it many times.

Odins wife is called Frigg, just Frigg
Thor (Þór) is the son of Odin and a woman called Jörð (earth)
Thor´s wife is Sif.

But enough of wisdom from mister knowitall. The movie was good I would give it 8 out of 10.

But I also reccomend that you people get to know "Edda" or "The Prose Edda"
Frigga is a common anglicization of Frigg so there's nothing wrong there. The gods' names aren't always pronounced like on Iceland in Sweden, Norway and Denmark either. Not that such things really matter since the Marvel comic pantheon has many differences from the myths and can only be treated as a separate thing, just inspired by the original.

On top of that the movies also differ a bit from the comics, for example in that the movies don't treat the Asgardians as gods at all which makes it likely that in the movies Frigga was Thor's real mother.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote