View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #158
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - -

What I think people need to realize is that the Marvel thing is an extremely rare, unique situation. It's similar to Lucasfilm. It's an independent studio growing into a huge brand worth billions of dollars, and then going on to exist within a larger umbrella. Because both of those brands are proven and have a dedicated fanbase, Disney is wisely just keeping a distance.

The whole idea of a "DC Films" division is almost irrelevant. At the end of the day it's all coming down to WB's money and whether they want to shuffle up their slate to include more big budget superhero films and consequently less of everything else. And honestly, if this film is a huge success, that could very well be the direction they head in. They're trying, so I don't even get what the complaints are about. Business-wise, "rushing" the DCU is the smarter play, rather than waiting to reboot Batman and Green Lantern, launch Wonder Woman and end up with a JL film in 2020, after there's already been 2 Avengers sequels, not to mention Sony and Fox's attempts at "teamup" films. They're trying to compete while getting in while the trend is hot, so if you want more DC movies...THIS is probably the best possible way to kickstart it.

The thing is, DC has done what Marvel Studios has yet to really do...fail financially. Pretty much everything they've released that isn't Batman has ranged from a complete bomb to slightly below box office expectations (and two of those were SUPERMAN films). They have every reason to be cautious. And putting Batman and Superman together in a movie is STILL a tremendous risk.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158