View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #91
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Default Re: How much Comedy would you want to see in this film... if any?

I don't have a problem with humor in and of itself.

The problem is when:

1) The humor is forced. One common thing I've noticed with humor, in commercials, movies, TV, etc., is that the best humor is very spontaneous, very natural, and comes from a very real place. Some of the best humor in real life is spontaneous because, well, it wasn't scripted.

This is why RDJ's humor is so funny whenever he's on film. The majority of the time, it's not scripted, so you don't know what he's going to say next. It's funny because it's so spontaneous and feels so natural because the humor is coming from a very real place. It all goes back to people like The Marx Bros. and The Three Stooges, who were very well known for unpredictable slapstick humor.

On the flip side of things, when comedians try to create their own humor, it doesn't work a lot of the time because it feels artificial. It doesn't come from a real place.

You can't force humor. If you do, then it just doesn't work.

2) It doesn't relate to a situation at hand within the film. If an unrelated joke or gag is just put in a film just because the film isn't funny enough, it immediately takes me out of the film, because I know it was put there just to lighten the mood of the film for being too "serious". That wouldn't happen in real life, so why should it happen in a film?

Which leads me to my next point...

3) There's too many jokes, or the placement of said joke is inappropriate. If you place too many jokes in a movie which explores very serious themes, it pretty much undermines the seriousness of what's going on within the film. If you put a joke in a scene that's supposed to be serious, it ruins the tone of that scene.

Imagine the scene when Han Solo is about to be frozen in Carbonite, and all of the sudden a Stormtrooper spouts a witty one-liner. That would be awful.

Jokes and gags in and of themselves aren't bad. It's the amount of them and the context in which they are placed that makes or breaks the scene.

Just my two cents.

5-.-2-.-14

Last edited by TheWiseGuy487; 02-13-2014 at 12:58 AM.
TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote