View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #91
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I *want* to see Steve's emotional arc get just closure in this movie in regards to Peggy, and I want that to happen before bringing in Sharon Carter, because, yeah… otherwise it might feel like he's settling and replacing Peggy for the younger version.
I agree.

But you also think Steve's emotional arc in regards to Peggy should be taking up most of the movie.

So in effect, you are saying Sharon should be in the movie as less as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I *want* to see Steve's emotional arc get just closure in this movie in regards to Peggy, and I want that to happen before bringing in Sharon Carter, because, yeah… otherwise it might feel like he's settling and replacing Peggy for the younger version.
I agree.

But you also think Steve's emotional arc in regards to Peggy should be taking up most of the movie.

So in effect, you are saying Sharon should be in the movie as less as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpTeeth View Post
Exactly. There is a reason that, even after two years, Steve says that the reason he didn't go out on Saturday night was that his 'barbershop quartet' is dead. A part of him is still stuck in the past, and the movie seems to be about reconciling the two. There's no way they would have the movie begin with him getting closure. Audiences would probably feel cheated by "It's been two years, he's over it", and screenwriters would want a chance to portray his difficulties (though I doubt it will be him crying and staring at old photos-that's reserved for Bucky ).

I do think that they could have introduced Sharon in a bigger role, though. However, they would have had to keep the relationship platonic for this movie, and probably not reveal her surname till the end. Otherwise, it would seem like Sharon was Peggy's 'replacement', which would be bad for everyone involved. But yeah, I would have been into him partnering with the mysterious Agent 13.
I don't really disagree with that.

But I don't think Steve's issues with the present and what is holding him back is limited to him and Peggy.

Steve has issues with America and how it has changed, with idealism giving way to cynicism, with how being in the service used to be noble.

Peggy just happens to be a tangible thing that he can confront. If he talks to her early on and gets his closure with her, that doesn't mean he'll be 100% adjusted. It just means he'll be beginning to move forward.

He'd still have all that less tangible stuff to deal with.