View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #99
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
@Ksb

Maybe its a personal difference but I have a hard time viewing what Steve and Peggy had as a relationship or love. So I have a hard time seeing losing her as the thing he has issues about.

Certainly a huge emotional factor, but one, IMO, best resolved rather than kept to linger.
And having Steve have closure with Peggy doesn't diminish him still having trouble adjusting the modern era, politically, ideologicly, and so on.

But, whatever. Agree to disagree.
I don't want to overstate myself. Cap/Peggy is really, really important. But it is not the ONLY important psychological hurdle that we want to see Steve adjust to. I think it is REPRESENTATIVE of all the myriad of things that Steve Rogers gave up to become something greater than the little skinny guy from Brooklyn.

Being a superhero must be great. Having a beautiful, strong and exceptionally handsome body must be pretty awesome. But if a character has an ounce of inner life, they want to love and be loved, to connect, and to have the opportunity to mourn lost comrades, and a changed world. Among all the current crop of Marvel heroes, Steve Rogers is the most thoughtful and self-aware.

I'm a Joss Whedon fan from waayyy back. And he said something once that has always stuck with me. To paraphrase, as a writer, he likes to give his characters exactly what they really, really want, but with terrible consequences. THAT'S what makes good drama--THAT'S the dilemma Steve Rogers finds himself in right now.