View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #66
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy
Well, no, since both movies were in production at the same time.

They just, hopefully, had a solid script to work from on this, which is what they didn't have for Thor 2.

People can talk all they want about editing or whatever else for Thor 2, but the problems all trickle down from a weaksauce script. Everything to do with the dark elves is very very stupid, keeping one or two of the deleted scenes that people liked doesn't fix that. If anything it slows the movie down, which gives people time to think about how ridiculous the elf stuff is. It's no wonder Marvel wanted the movie to just breeze by

What Thor 3 needs isn't a longer runtime or less humor or Thor moving differently or whatever other little complaint people want addressed. What it needs is a filmmaker with a vision for the film, who oversees the production from the word go. (Or filmmakers, as the case may be. ) Thor 2's problem wasn't its runtime, it was the four directors and half-dozen screenwriters who passed through before they finally settled.

If the right person makes an 80 minute film it'll be great. If the wrong person makes a 130 minute film it'll be terrible. Runtime is indicative of basically nothing.

And for what it's worth I'm not one of those people who hates Thor 2, it's an okay film. But it definitely has its problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Hands on/hands off isn't really the problem. You only ever hear about them being "hands on" when there are already problems with the production. That's not a coincidence, they're trying to salvage what they can. As far as the recent movies, guys like Whedon, Black, the Russos, and Gunn have gone on and on about how much freedom Marvel gave them to make their movies.
Quoted for all the truth. Completely agreed. I'd wager Wright's name will be added to that list at the end there.

Saying a film is going to be bad or good based on runtime is totally silly. Toy Story is 80mins (a bunch of Pixar flicks barely make it past 90mins). Moon is 92mins. In Bruges is 107mins. All great films.

Also, I don't understand why people keep saying the Russo Bros are being groomed to replace Whedon.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks