View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #758
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS* - Part 1

That article is full of s***! and shows that they didn't pay total attention to the film. Krypton INC did a wonderful job of saying why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
As for the suit? This seems a matter of taste to me. If you felt the moment had no gravitas or what have you, well that is certainly your right to have as an opinion, or to share with this article you read as the case is. Seeing as it makes it's appearance right at the end of Jor-el's revelations to Clark about his origin and then bestows his people's native clothing on him it would seem to me it has more than enough dramatic significance. Again that's just my opinion. Whether the Jor-el A.I. was aware once uploaded into the scoutship that it contained a suit for a member of the House of El or if he had the suit created once installed seems kind of besides the point to me.
Thats the thing with the suit there appears to be several theories. I theorised that because the El's led the way with the scout ship that there would be suits with the emblem on the ship. I just take it the material can stretch to the size of the individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Now as to the question as to why Clark seeks out advice from a human religious authority? Well, for myself it's plain Goyer and Snyder are presenting Superman as someone whose sense of self starts with being a midwestern farmer. Despite searching for answers to his origins, he is clearly attached to, molded and raised in the human culture of the American state of Kansas. He plainly states so at film's end. This was not like Chris Reeve's Superman that undertook many years of tutelage in the Fortress of Solitude with that film's version of the Jor-el A.I., one which we see he seems to even have developed an emotional attachement to. No here, however long Clark spends with Jor-el whether weeks or little over a month before he returns to see Ma Kent, it appears Clark would not naturally go running to Jor-el for counsel or advice. Having established that Clark has some kind of faith when he's younger ("Did GOD do this to me?!")
it doesn't come off as odd at all that he'd seek answers/counsel from a religious authority.

Now the idea that he should have gone to the scoutship does have some validity to it, I can't deny that. But between Clark clearly wrestling with the implications his whole life of what revealing his existence would mean and Zod's 24 hour deadline he could be granted a mulligan here at least. It also seems to me that this complaint is pretty much aping the criticism from the HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED MOS installment. Just one problem there though... the HISHE solution actually wouldn't work in the context of what actually IS established in the film. In the HISHE for MOS the HISHE crew seem to think all Superman would have to do is fly the ship that brought him to the planet up to the BLACK ZERO, activate it's Phantom Drive and problem solved, right? Not really, since in order for that to work the BZ's Phantom Drives also have to be active, something Zod is clearly shown to do only after releasing the WE and taking a position over Metropolis. In other words I don't know what Superman would have accomplished with such a tactic, but it would not have created a singularity sucking the BZ and it's crew back to the Phantom Zone. So, sorry HISHE guys. I love your work but this time I'd say they actually let their dislike of a film cloud their judgement as to what realistically would happen if a film adopted their solution to a given situation.
I actually think you answered the question of why Clark didn't go to Jor El. Because at his heart he's a human, seeking religious advice in a time of need was probably the first thing that crossed his mind. As you said this was not the Chris Reeve version, he didn't really talk to his Dad much prior.

Last edited by BH/HHH; 03-03-2014 at 08:58 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote